Welcome to the last homestand of the regular season at Coca-Cola Field.
And these first two games will be quite a showdown.
The Buffalo Bisons and the Rochester Red Wings are both two games behind Pawtucket in the International League Wild Card race. Pawtucket hosts Lehigh Valley tonight. The Bisons are 5-1 against Rochester at Coca-Cola Field this year and 26-12 since 2010.
Here's what you need to know for tonight's series opener at 7:05 p.m.:
- Sean Nolin starts for Buffalo and has been impressive in his last four outings. In his last 23 innings, Nolin has allowed runs in just one inning -- a three-run fourth against Durham on Aug. 8. Since returning from his second stint on the disabled list (groin strain) he has two wins and two no-decisions on four starts. His last outing on Aug. 13 against Norfolk he threw six shutout innings with seven strikeouts.
- Tyler Duffey will make his second career Triple-A start for Rochester. In his debut on Wednesday, he gave up two runs on five hits in six-plus innings with two walks and seven strikeouts. The 23-year old was a fifth round pick of the Minnesota Twins in 2012.
- Thruway Cup! The Bisons (14-12) trail Syracuse (15-11) by one game in the 2014 Thruway Cup Standings. The more you know.
- Bisons starters have posted a 1.52 earned run average in 17 games this month. In 100 2/3 innings of work, the rotation has allowed 75 hits with 91 strikeouts.
- While the Bisons were off on Monday, the parent Toronto Blue Jays were bolstering their lineup, claiming two-time IL All-Star Matt Hague off waivers from Pittsburgh. Hague, who turns 29 tomorrow, was an All-Star with the Indianapolis Indians this season. In 93 games with Indy, this season, he hit .267 with 16 doubles and 14 home runs. He drove in 66 runs and led the Indians in both home runs and RBI before being designated for assignment last week.
Tonight's Bisons' lineup:
Darin Mastroianni -- LF
Anthony Gose -- CF
Cole Gillespie -- RF
Dan Johnson -- DH
Brett Wallace -- 1B
Andy LaRoche -- 3B
Ryan Goins -- SS
Mike Nickeas -- C
Jonathan Diaz -- 2B