by Amy Moritz
The storm that rolled through downtown Buffalo is breaking up and the grounds crew is working to clean up the field. It all means there's a good chance tonight's games between the Bisons and Norfolk Tides goes off as scheduled, or at least close to as-scheduled.
In the meantime some tidbits for tonight's matchup:
- Edwin Encarnacion begins his rehab assignment with the Bisons. He will DH annd leadoff for the Herd today. Manager Gary Allenson said Encarnacion will play first base for the Bisons on Wednesday. The All-Star has not played for Toronto since he strained his right quadriceps on July 7.
- Encarnacion is the fourth player to make a rehab start with Buffalo this year. Also making rehab stops with the Herd were J.A. Happ (April 10-15), Colby Rasmus (June 12-17) and Brett Cecil (June 30-July 3).
- Kendall Gravemen gets his third Triple A start tonight and is looking for his first win. He took a pair of one-run losses on the road, but both were quality starts. He went six innings in each outing, giving up a combined three runs. He was promoted just five days after making his Double-A debut with New Hampshire on Aug. 2.
- Kevin Pillar is on an 18-game hit streak for the second time this season. He leads the International League in doubles (34) and ranks third in stolen bases (26), slugging percentage (.510) and extra-base hits (47).
- Oh that playoff chase. The Herd is 3 1/2 games back of Syracuse in the IL North Division race and 3 1/2 games behind Pawtucket for the Wild Card spot.
Tonight's starting lineup:
Edwin Encarnacion -- DH
Darin Mastroianni -- CF
Kevin Pillar -- LF
Brett Wallace -- 1B
Cole Gillespie -- RF
Ryan Goins -- 2B
Andy LaRoche -- 3B
George Kottaras -- C
Jonathan Diaz -- SS